Monday, March 10, 2014

Retiring -- A Piece at a Time

I had the wrong idea about retirement. I thought I’d be employed one day, and completely retired the next. But it turns out that I'm retiring a piece at a time. There are parts of me -- ankles, elbowslivernose, etc. -- that are on the beach, enjoying the view, so to speak. But there are other pieces that still go to work every day. Worst of all, my head -- it still wakes up thinking about the office ventilation problems, my wobbly chair, bad coffee, a shifting desktop and who’s bringing the bagels.  The key to getting my head to retire, I decided, was to get out of my comfort zone – stretch my mind, do something abnormal, go a little crazy. So I went to IKEA.


 What an unusual day. I lunched on a smoked salmon while, 50 feet away, a woman bought a bathroom sink. I learned how a human being could live in 180 square feet (which I had already learned in college, although not yet completely human). And I bought wire shelving that (the box promised) would support an aircraft carrier and could be put together in 30 minutes – if I were a nuclear physicist. Unfortunately, I'm not a nuclear anything and the assembly has eaten up my the day and all of my patience. But I’m a retiree… I have the rest of my life to figure out how parts 1A and 6C connect rod-F to rack-4.


 So, getting into new adventures is working -- I hear my mind saying good-bye to office routines. I think my head is going to retire sometime soon and join the rest of me. Maybe I’ll throw myself another party.

1 comment:

  1. I will never think of IKEA the same again! I think it does take some time to successfully transition from the crazy working world into retirement. Some can be addressed before you retire with planning and preparation. But the real test is when you are living the life day in and day out. It sounds like you are off to a good start and as long as you can maintain your sense of humor, it should be a wonderful journey. Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete