Friday, March 14, 2014

Karl Walenda, an Inspiring Retiree

On his last day at work, Karl Walenda walked a high wire between the two towers of the ten-story Condado Plaza Hotel in San Juan, Puerto Rico. I walked to Starbuck's. Two very different approaches to retirement. 

Whereas I've ended up with a non-fat, no-whip mocha, Karl finished his 1-second retirement kissing the concrete. Of course, he also got worldwide attention. I got a farewell party with about 20 or so colleagues ("So long and thanks for all the fish"). This raises some questions: What am I going to do in retirement? How exciting do I want it to be? Would I rather amble a half mile for coffee or stagger on a wire stretched 121 feet above a street? My answers won't come all at one time. But I have been doing my research.

I've mentioned volunteerism a number of times in my posts. Coaching kids' basketball crossed my mind. But watching Karl tip-toeing on a high-altitude thread at age 73 has stirred something unexpected. A little envy. A bit of shame for being so wimpy in my choices. And the realization that I can do something exciting, because I'm still able. Now I'm thinking whitewater rafting, hiking the Appalachian trail, vein-popping bodybuilding. But I know me, inside and out. I'll probably gravitate to things like creating a comic book, traveling, astronomy, going into politics with the unrealistic goal of rebuilding the world... my retirement is a work in progress.

So, watch for me. But don't look up. I probably won't be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment